Uitonrinne wooden house milieu

In the centre of Sulkava, the area between the Lake Saimaa and Mikkolantie is classified as a nationally significant environment/tourist attraction. There are several mansard-roofed buildings in the area, and traditional courtyard areas. This is also where the important for tourism places are: rowing stadium, Marimekko factory and factory outlet, boating centre Kulkemus, the harbour, tourist information, cafeteria-shop Alina, and open in the summer, Kästyöpuoti which sells local handicrafts.


Linnavuori, Linnavuorentie 299

The hill fort of Pisamalahti bay is one of the most valuable ancient forts in Finland. On top of the hill fort, the remains of a defence rampart from the 12th century can be found. The hill fort rises to a height of about 55 metres from the level of the lake Enonvesi. There is a camping harbour, a barbeque place and a toilet in the area.

A map link to the Linnavuori hill fort here.



Vilkaharju is an approximately four kilometres long ridge area, regionally significant because of its scenery, geology, and forests. It is bordered by the Lake Saimaa waterways, about five kilometres from Sulkava towards Imatra.
It has been a nature conservation area since 1978.


Sulkava church, Kirkkotie 1

The wooden crosschurch was built in 1822. The bell tower dates back to 1770 and it was designed by Petrell.

There is a burial chamber in the churchyard, built of the beams from the demounted old church to protect the tombs of the Pistolekors family.

The church is open every day 1 June–31 August 10 am–6 pm.


Lohikosken kirkko, Kappelitie 12

The long church with a gable tower dates back to the 1930s. The church was designed by Ilmari Virkkala.

The church is open 1 June–31 August Mon–Fri 9 am–11 am and 12 pm–4 pm. tel, +358 15 673 267.




Telakanava, Lohilahdentie 1137

One of the so called Suvorov canals built in the 1790s. The other canals are Kukonkanta in Puumala, and Käyhkää and Kutvele in Ruokolahti. The canals were built at a time when the boundary between Sweden-Finland and Russia crossed the Vekaransalmi inlet. The canals secured the travel from Olavinlinna castle to St. Petersburg.

Telakanava was renovated in 2007-2008 by the National Board of Antiquities and Historical Monuments.

A map link to Telakanava here.

Rauhaniemi museum area

The Log-floating Museum and a chimneyless hut which was transported from Kyrsyänsalo, with a courtyard area.
The museum is open in June July upon appointment, address
Vanha lossiranta 2, Sulkava.

Inquiries, tel. +358 44 4175331 or 44 4175215.

Read more here.


Julunkivi in Sulkava Lohikoski, in the conservation area of old forests, is one of the largest erratic boulders in Finland. The height of the boulder is 12.5 metres, and the perimeter is almost 60 metres.
Julunkivi is an excellent target for an outing because of its location by the Lake Saimaa, and the fireplace "under" the boulder. The boulder is about 700 metres on foot from the Lohilahti Eräreitti trail, which is part of the green gold hiking route.

A map link to Julunkivi here.

Monuments etc.

A monument for bygone generations

As an event related to the 150th jubilee of the church in 1972, stones were brought from all 37 Sulkava villages to the monument erected on the churchyard. The place of the monument on the churchyard had been the location for the churches built in 1653 and 1753.

Memorial stones of stone-age settlements

There are several prehistoric settlements in the area of Sulkava.
The locations of stone-age settlements are marked with railing stones recycled from the old parish centre bridge.



In Sulkava, the Sarsuinmäki artillery batteries, as well as the Vilkaharju, Vekara, and Telakanava anti-tank obstacles belong to the Salpa Line. The website of the Salpa Line Heritage Society contains information about the Sulkava part, as well. - The Salpa Line is being developed into a large tourist attraction.

Sarsuinmäki artillery batteries and the museum gun

A fort artillery battery part of the Salpa Line. The battery was completed in 1940, and at the time was the 30th fort artillery battery. The gun is a French gun of the make Canet with a 7 metre long gun barrel

A map link to the artillery battery here.

Sairalanmäki military graves

Address Sairalanmäentie

A graveyard dating back to the Russian War (1788-90) of Gustav III of Sweden, where the soldiers who fell in the battle of Siikakoski in 1789 were buried. It is believed that there lie 303 soldiers, and one woman and one child.

There is a monument in the area with the text: "Stop traveller. Bare your head on behalf of your country. To the memory of the fallen 5/VII - 19/VII 1789."

In addition, in the corner of the graveyard there is a white wooden cross erected by the Sulkava Reserve Officer's Club, with the words: "In memory of the officers fallen in the 1789 battle 18.7.1954"

A map link here.

The cross for the soldiers of the Elfsborg regiment

Address Halttulantie
The memorial cross of the Elfsborg regiment soldiers fallen during the Gustav III wars is located in the Halttula village of Sulkava. Kaarlo Hämäläinen, Counsellor, erected the grave mound in 1934, together with the villagers of Halttula. On top of the mound the Sulkava Lions Club erected a cross made of copper. The unveiling ceremony of the cross was on 19 June 1966.

A map link here.

In the churchyard of the Sulkava parish there is also a monument in memory of the Elfsborg regiment.


A monument of the War of Independence and Civil War, in the parish centre churchyard.

The cenotaph was originally a monument only for the victims of the Whites, with the name of those Sulkava residents who died.

In the 1990s, a memorial stone for the Red victims of the Civil War was attached to the cenotaph, with the names of the deceased Reds from Sulkava.


Sulkava Rowing Race Statue

The Rowing Statue in the Sulkava market square area was revealed on 4 July 2007.

The statue was designed by a Sulkava painter Olavi Uusitalo, and it was sculpted by sculptor Heikki Räsänen.


Counsellor Kaarlo Hämäläinen

Born 21 Dec 1879, died 13 Aug 1951
The tombstone is in the churchyard of the Sulkava church.

Monument of Counsellor Hämäläinen in front of the Sulkava library.

The monument the Telataipale Family Society of Hämäläinen ordered from sculptor Heikki Räisänen was revealed on 13 August 2011, precisely 60 years after the death of the Counsellor.


Mikko Torvalainen, Rune Singer

Born 1765 in Sulkava, Väätälänmäki, died 1856

The monument in the Adult Education Centre's courtyard was erected on 7 July 1985 in honour of the Kalevala jubilee year.